A quarter century after its passage, the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) is a resounding success, due to the hard work and partnership of the states and numerous stakeholders with the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS). This has resulted in millions of children and families enrolling in quality, affordable health coverage and getting the comprehensive health care that help children thrive.
Before CHIP was enacted, 10 million children, or 15 percent of all children, were uninsured. Twenty-five years later, because of CHIP the number of uninsured children has dropped 70% to roughly 3 million children in 2021, or 3.7 percent of all children. In FY 2020, approximately 9.1 million children were enrolled in CHIP.
Check out our fact sheet to learn more about CHIP at 25!
- CMS’ April 2022 Medicaid & CHIP Enrollment Data Highlights
- Georgetown University Health Policy Institute Center for Children and Families’ analysis, CHIP: Serving America’s Children for 25 Years
Current & Upcoming Observances:
- National Immunization Awareness Month (August)
- Children’s Eye Health & Safety Month (August)
- National Health Center Week (August 7 – 13)
- Children’s Health Day (August 13)
Stay Connected with the Campaign
- Share our Campaign materials. Our ever-growing, multi-lingual Outreach Tool Library features a variety of targeted resources to use in your outreach and enrollment efforts, available in multiple formats.
- Contact us. To get more involved with the Campaign, contact us via email at ConnectingKids@cms.hhs.gov.
- Follow the Campaign on Twitter. Remember to re-tweet or share our messages from @IKNGov with your social network and be sure to use our #Enroll365 and #KidsEnroll hashtags in your posts.
Subscribe to the “Campaign Notes” eNewsletter
The Connecting Kids to Coverage National Campaign eNewsletter “Campaign Notes” is distributed throughout the year and provides updates on Campaign activities. If a friend or colleague forwarded this email to you, we invite you to sign up to receive this eNewsletter directly to your inbox.