Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) cover essential mental and behavioral health services for kids and teens. Coverage includes mental and behavioral health services for children and expectant mothers to prevent, diagnose, and treat a broad range of mental health symptoms and disorders. These services can be conducted in-person or via telehealth.
Prior to the COVID-19 public health emergency, as many as 1 in 6 U.S. children between the ages of 6 and 17 had a treatable mental health disorder. With additional stressors, such as lack of routine and virtual learning, there has been a surge of anxiety and depression in young people since the start of the pandemic. Despite this surge, mental health services declined sharply among children age 18 and under. Although delivery of care via telehealth has helped connect children to important mental health services, data has shown that many children and teens are still not getting the care they need.
Use these tools to encourage parents and caregivers to enroll in Medicaid and CHIP to access important mental health benefits once their children and teens are covered. Be sure to check out the Outreach Tool Library for a full view of the variety of outreach materials available or our Initiative’s pages to locate topic-specific resources.
These short videos, available in English and Spanish, remind parents that Medicaid and CHIP cover mental health care services. Use these videos on social media, post on websites, digital signage and more!
"Mental Health" :15 Seconds
- Digital Video: "Mental Health" in English
- Digital Video Storyboard: "Mental Health" in English (PDF, 200.43 KB)
- Digital Video Script: "Mental Health" in English (PDF, 100.95 KB)
- Digital Video: "Mental Health" in Spanish
- Digital Video Storyboard: "Mental Health" in Spanish (PDF, 208.25 KB)
- Digital Video Script: "Mental Health" in Spanish (PDF, 171.12 KB)
"Missed Care: Mental Health Can’t Wait" :30 Seconds
- Digital Video: "Mental Health Can’t Wait" in English
- Digital Video Storyboard: "Mental Health Can’t Wait" in English (PDF, 370.33 KB)
- Digital Video Script: “Mental Health Can’t Wait” in English (PDF, 160.13 KB)
Social Media Messages
Use these messages in your Facebook and Instagram posts, Tweets, or other messaging forums to help us spread the word about the importance of mental health! Be sure to check out our Step-By-Step Guide to Sharing Social Media Graphics (PDF, 396.46 KB) for tips on how to post our graphics on your social media accounts and our Partner Social Media Toolkit (PDF, 105.82 KB) for best practices on social media outreach.
- Sample Mental Health Social Media Posts in English and Spanish (PDF, 640.86 KB)
These images are specifically designed and sized for Facebook and Instagram. Download and share them on your account to help us spread the word! And use our hashtag #Enroll365.
These images are specifically designed and sized for Twitter. Download and share them on your account to help us spread the word! And use our hashtag #Enroll365.
Newsletter & Article Template
Use these templates to create your own newsletter or place articles in existing newsletters.
Share these text messages through community text message programs to remind families the importance of Medicaid and CHIP and mental health coverage.
- Sample Mental Health Text Messages in English and Spanish (PDF, 146.23 KB)