CHIPRA Outreach Grants
New Funding Opportunity: Connecting Kids to Coverage Outreach and Enrollment Grants
On January 7, 2013, CMS announced that we are soliciting proposals for Connecting Kids to Coverage Outreach and Enrollment Grants. Funded under the Affordable Care Act, these grants will continue efforts to find and enroll eligible children in Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP). A total of $32 million is available for states, local governments, community-based and non-profit organizations. Indian health care providers and tribal entities also are eligible to apply. (In addition, a separate funding opportunity exclusively for Indian health care providers and tribal entities will be made available for outreach and enrollment grants at a later time.) Proposals are due on February 21, 2013, with grant award notification anticipated on June 1, 2013. Grants are expected to range in size from $250,000 to $1 million for a two-year period, beginning June 1, 2013 and ending May 31, 2015.
This round of grants will support outreach strategies in the following areas:
- Engaging schools in outreach, enrollment and retention activities;
- Bridging health coverage disparities by reaching out to subgroups of children that exhibit lower than average health coverage rates;
- Designing and executing targeted enrollment strategies to streamline health coverage enrollment for individuals participating in SNAP, WIC or other public benefit programs;
- Establishing and developing application assistance resources to provide high quality, reliable Medicaid/CHIP enrollment and renewal services in local communities; and
- Conducting training programs to equip communities to help families understand the new application and enrollment system and to deliver effective assistance to families with children eligible for Medicaid and CHIP.
For the full solicitation which includes instructions on how to apply, click here.
For More Information About this Funding Opportunity
Connecting Kids to Coverage Outreach and Enrollment Grants
Teleconference for Prospective Applicants
January 16th: 2pm - 3pm ET
Dial In: 1-866-710-0179
Please call in 10 minutes before start time to ensure we can begin promptly.
We will hold at least one additional teleconference to provide interested parties an opportunity to ask questions. Watch this space for more detail about the next teleconference and for the responses to Frequently Asked Questions about the new funding opportunity.
Outreach and Enrollment Funding
The Children's Health Insurance Program Reauthorization Act (CHIPRA) of 2009 together with the Affordable Care Act of 2010 provided a total of $140 million in outreach and enrollment funding for purposes of enrolling eligible children in Medicaid and CHIP coverage and keeping them enrolled for as long as they qualify. The funding is available through federal fiscal year 2015 and is allocated as follows:
- $14 million for a national outreach campaign
- $14 million in grants for Indian Tribes and health care providers that serve Tribes
- $112 million in grants to community-based organizations, states, community health centers, faith-based organizations, school districts and Tribal organizations
Cycle I Outreach Grants
The first $40 million (Cycle I) in grant funds was awarded on September 30, 2009 to 68 grantees across 42 States. .For a complete list of Cycle I grantees, see 2009 Cycle I Outreach Grantees [PDF 545 KB].Of the 68 grantees, 49 are individual organizations or states, and 20 are groups of entities working together as consortiums. The grantees have two years to spend the grant funds and will be expected to report enrollment data and other information to evaluate the success at enrolling and retaining children in health insurance coverage.
Tribal Outreach Grants
On April 16, 2010, CMS awarded $10 million in grant funding for Indian tribes, Tribal health providers, and Indian Health Service providers to conduct outreach and enrollment efforts to increase Medicaid and CHIP coverage among American Indian/Alaska Native children. The funding was awarded to 41 organizations in 19 States and will be made available over a five year period. Read Press Release .
Cycle II Outreach Grants
On February 4, 2011, CMS announced the availability of an additional $40 million in outreach and enrollment grant funding (Cycle II) to be awarded in the Summer of 2011. Applications must be submitted to www.grants.gov no later than April 18, 2011.