Improving Oral Health
Think Teeth: Oral Health Education Materials
CMS developed the Think Teeth oral health education materials to help providers and other stakeholders partner with beneficiaries to increase their level of oral health knowledge. The materials highlight healthy oral care habits for pregnant women and parents and caregivers of children. They are available in both English and Spanish, and include tear pads, flyer, poster, web buttons, web banners, tweets, Facebook posts, and template newsletter articles.
All of the Think Teeth materials are available for FREE. Please allow approximately 2 weeks for delivery if ordering printed materials.
- To place an order:
- Visit CMS’ Product Ordering Website at productordering.cms.hhs.gov and select Create an Account.
- On the “Create an Account” page, provide required information in the fields marked by a red *. (asterisk)
- In the “Why I Need Access” field, mention “Think Teeth” and the type of organization you represent.
- Wait for an account confirmation email before trying to place your order. Check junk or spam folders if a confirmation is not received within 24 hours. You may need to add email@example.com as a safe sender on your email account.
- Locate the Think Teeth materials on the Product Ordering Website by searching by product number or by typing the word “teeth” in the search field.
- Think Teeth: Tear-Off Pad for Pregnant Women -Designed for health care providers and others to share oral health information with pregnant women. The sheets on the pad are in English on one side and Spanish on the other.
- Think Teeth: Tear-Off Pad for Children of All Ages - Designed for health care providers and others to share oral health information with children of all ages. The sheets on the pad are English on one side and Spanish on the other.
- Think Teeth: Oral Health Poster for Children Under the Age of 3 - Promotes encouraging messages for good oral health habits for parents and caregivers of children under age 3. The poster is available in both English and Spanish.
- Think Teeth: Oral Health Flyer for Children Under the Age of 3 - Promotes encouraging messages about good oral health habits, intended for parents and caregivers of children under age 3. The flyer is English on one side and Spanish on the other. (Measures 8.5”x11”)
- Think Teeth Web Buttons & Banners: Use web buttons and banners to link online traffic to the InsureKidsNow.gov Dental Health Page. Each .zip folder includes three standard web banner and button sizes, as well as posting instructions. Place these banners and buttons on your website!
- Think Teeth Media: The resources below are designed to help you promote the Think Teeth oral health education materials to your target audience through various media.
- Think Teeth Social Media: Twitter & Facebook posts for YOUR Organization
- Think Teeth Template Newsletter Articles for Parents and Caregivers for use by YOUR Organization
- Think Teeth Template Newsletter Articles for General Audiences for use by YOUR Organization
We hope you find the Think Teeth Materials useful in promoting oral health for pregnant women and children. Additional items of interest:
- Tips to use the Think Teeth Materials
- Newsletter: Connecting Kids to Coverage National Campaign Notes Announcing Oral Health Materials Availability
- CMS Oral Health Strategy Guide: Keep Kids Smiling: Promoting Oral Health Through the Medicaid Benefit for Children and Adolescents
- Oral Health Education Webinar: Think Teeth: New Developments in Medicaid and Children’s Oral Health
- If you are interested in the science behind the messages in the oral health education materials: Bibliography of Scientific Articles on Oral Health
Think Teeth: Dental Coverage
All children covered by Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) have coverage for dental services – including teeth cleanings, check-ups, x-rays, fluoride treatments, dental sealants, fillings and more. Check out a complete listing of dental health benefits for children in Medicaid and CHIP.
Add our online tool to your website to help families find a dentist nearby who accepts Medicaid or CHIP.
The CMS Oral Health Initiative
In 2010, CMS launched an Oral Health Initiative to encourage states to make more progress on ensuring that children enrolled in Medicaid and CHIP have easy access to dental and oral health services. The two goals focus on prevention:
- To increase the rate of children ages 1-20 enrolled in Medicaid or CHIP for at least 90 continuous days who receive any preventive dental service by 10 percentage points over a 5-year period by FY 2015; and
- To increase the rate of children ages 6-9 enrolled in Medicaid or CHIP for at least 90 continuous days who receive a dental sealant on a permanent molar tooth by 10 percentage points over a 5-year period (CMS is considering how best to operationalize this goal).
To support state efforts, CMS works with state Medicaid agencies to develop oral health action plans, provides technical assistance to states and tribes, and works to improve outreach to providers and beneficiaries, including through the “Think Teeth”-themed oral health education materials.